Floatation Therapy and My Experience
Pre-float
Initially named ‘sensory deprivation tanks’, it was
invention in 1954 by neuro-scientist Dr John C. Lily. Its purpose was for the
brain to prompt a deep relaxation response, much deeper than what normal sleep is
able achieve. Some known benefits of floating include muscle relaxation,
increased mental clarity, decrease in stress levels and even boost in
creativity.
 |
| Dr John C. Lily |
Despite being around for more than half a century,
floatation therapy has only been on people’s radars in recent years. Some
version of floating was even recently featured on popular television shows such as
‘Stranger Things’. This brings me to Singapore’s ‘Palm Avenue Float Club’.
Established in 2014, they are known in Asia as one of the best in the business.
 |
| Homemade sensory deprivation tank as seen on Netflix hit series, 'Stranger Things' |
The Float
When I arrived and was guided to my own private room, the
float guide went on to explain the do’s and don’ts when floating, and how to
operate the pod. She also explained that they use 600kg of Epsom salt, so I
would definitely be able to float. The pod has two main buttons, blue on the left
to on/off the light in the pod, and red on the right for assistance. The guide
also helped place a spray bottle within the pod, so if saltwater ever got into
my eyes, I could spray it off. She then left me to myself and the session
started.
 |
| Blue button to control the lights, along with spray bottle and face towel |
 |
| Red button to call for assistance |
As I embarked on the float, I felt a certain tension in my neck and abdomen area. The tension on my abdomen area even felt nauseating to me at times. The feeling I had was nothing remotely close to relaxed and comfortable. It took me some time and position changes before I started getting used to the sensation of floating. After some time, I decided to turn off the light in the pod. The best way to describe what I was feeling would be floating in outer space in pitch black and unable to reach anything, which was rather disorienting at times. What I feel worked for my best was to not put tension on any part of the body and simply give in to the water. As I followed that and regulated my breathing, time passed and the music came on, signaling the end of the session.
 |
| Image representation of being in the Pod at PAFC |
 |
| Image of the room, taken from PAFC website |
After Float
My first float certainly wasn’t perfect, but that’s okay.
Floating being a new sensation, it takes time for our body to get used to it. In
all honesty, the process wasn’t comfortable to begin with, and I would much rather
be sleeping in my bed at home where my neck can be comfortably supported by
fluffy feather pillows. However, it is that uncomfortable process and weird
sensation that is beauty of floatation therapy. In the pod, you experiment, you
find what’s comfortable and suitable for you and you keep going that direction.
Personally, as time went on, I had this feeling of isolation and the relaxation
that comes with it. Especially with the light off, it felt as if I was alone in
this vast area of nothingness, leaving me with nothing but my thoughts,
allowing me to clear my mind and think. At the end of the session, my muscles
felt relaxed, but the area where I felt the most change was my mind and soul. A
metaphorical description I would use would be to feel reborn. I could process my thoughts clearly and I
felt calm. This is a feeling I felt very similar to meditation.
As PAFC would describe, floating takes practice and
works differently for everyone. Personally, I don’t see myself returning to
float at least in the near future mainly due to its steep prices ($90 for 60
minutes and $110 for 90 minutes). That being said, floating is indeed an unique
experience that I would recommend anyone who is interested, to try it at
least once in your lifetime.
 |
| PAFC Rates and Packages |
The tank is full of a smallish number of body-temperature water and a huge part of Epsom salts. Get more interesting details about float tanks check out this site.
ReplyDelete